Wednesday, October 19, 2011

To Facebook or Not to Facebook?

Ah, Facebook. The social network that seems to have dominated the web, and even knocking MySpace out of the way. Needless to say, Facebook is an alright site by my standards. Only saying that because of how my parental unit pretty much does what Facebook doesn't. Well, not necessarily, but let's just say that is the case. Aside from that, the website has no ups nor downs on my individual at a personal level.


The one great thing I like about the website is that I can stay in touch with friends and family all over the world! Although... at the moment, I only use it to communicate with my aunt in the Far East. Facebook is great for using it as a place to talk about certain subjects, as long as it is within a group. Some groups can be specialized for, say, a sports team and you want to be able to easily communicate with the team without outsiders knowing or that you have reminders, etc. Facebook is a nice way of getting information to others or staying in contact with those you normally don't have the ease to do so.


The downside (aye nako!) The downside for facebook is that EVERYONE CAN SEE YOUR STUFF!! No matter who you are, it's seen by everyone. Where is the privacy that the website promised? I have read other posts about this, and I know some of those people as well. The tagging thing is a little makulit, meaning "annoying", and there are some things I don't want to be apart of. I don't really like showing my face. Contrary to popular belief about myself, I am a somewhat shy guy. If you are not careful, you may end up posting something very foolish. There have been some cases where an employee was dishonorably discharged from their job (Oh, let's say Wal-Mart for all we care) just because this employee was sassing their employer on Facebook. Are you really safe? Che, does it really seem like you're as safe as Facebook claims you are? Nope.


Generally, I'm a little bothered by some of the youth on facebook. Sadly, I have the... misfortune to know such youth in real life. I say this because of their attitude. In person, they are sweet, nice, fun children that are really great once you get to know them. On Facebook, they are swearing... With a disappointed sigh, there is nothing from stopping these children from actually backing off. They are practically leading a double life! One being the gentle face in person and another being some foul-mouth brat you want to potentially smack! **Please do note I do not condone violence to any person of any age group. Surely we all have been frustrated to the point where it feels as if you are.**


I could care less about Facebook. Honestly, I'm only on here if I need to give out reminders or updates to certain people, talk to someone so they don't have to use their phone, or to talk to my aunt in Japan. I like having Facebook, but at times I'm disappointed. The website is being way too public with the way they are doing the new layouts and I really dislike this "creeper" bar off to the side of the page that shows all of your friends' doings. That's why I rarely post or do anything on Facebook aside from communications.

No comments:

Post a Comment